Nov

Most Annoying Christmas Song Ever?

I’ve been listening to Songs for Christmas by Sufjan Stevens lately and there are lots of good songs on this collection.  There are even a few great songs.  However, there is one song that I cannot stand: “The Little Drummer Boy”.  It’s not that Stevens does a bad job with the song.  It’s just that the song is terrible in its very nature.  I have not ever heard a good version of this song.  The song is so repetitive and gimmicky that I think it would be impossible to record a good version of this song without completely changing it.  I submit this as my candidate for the Most Annoying Christmas Song Ever (MACSE).  Does anyone have any other candidates for this dubious distinction?  Let me know.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Most Annoying Christmas Song Ever?”

1. 1 Your Wife
    November 30, 2006 at 6:41 pm

“Santa, Baby” wins the contest, hands down. Honestly, there is nothing hot about Santa, unless bellies that wiggle like a bowl full of jelly do something for you. :) At least the little drummer boy contains content about the true meaning of Christmas.

2. 2 Your Wife
    November 30, 2006 at 7:38 pm

oooooooh, and then there’s “Gramma Got Run Over By a Reindeer” That’s a classic, and by classic I mean IT’S SO BAD it’s unforgettable.

3. 3 Colin
    November 30, 2006 at 7:55 pm

I guess I was sort of implicitly referring to the generally accepted canon of Chistmas hymns/songs. As far as I’m concerned, it goes without saying that silly songs that involve Santa Claus or other aspects of Christmas that are more related to popular culture than to the historical reasons for celebrating Christmas are going to be bad or at the very least cheesy. However, “Little Drummer Boy” genuinely tries to be inspirational and uplifting and I suppose the story is, but the execution is just so bad that I can’t listen to it.

4. November 30, 2006 at 9:50 pm

I think I saw there’s an ABC Family (or maybe another channel) movie called “Santa Baby” with Jenny McCarthy, and she plays Santa’s daugher, who’s grown up and is a business executive of sorts. I wonder if I will make it a point to watch that movie. I wonder… So, I would think of Jenny McCarthy if I heard that song. wait a minute, i assume you guys are not in the same room when you posted those comments (looking at the time stamp)… :)

5. 5 Colin
    November 30, 2006 at 10:49 pm

You would be wrong in that assumption. Heather told me that she had left a comment on my blog and told me to read it. After I had read the first comment she thought of another song and left a comment about the second song. Then, while she was getting Elizabeth ready for bed, I wrote a response. So, although we weren’t both sitting at the computer, having a comversation by posting comments, it *was* kind of like that.

6. December 1, 2006 at 11:23 am

I like the part where you and Heather talk via comments. Keep up the good work.

7. 7 Your Wife
    December 1, 2006 at 5:48 pm

Hey there’s another ridiculous song on the radio now. Check out the lyrics at http://www.lyricsdownload.com/lou-monte-dominick-the-donkey-lyrics.html
    It’s called Dominick the Donkey. If you haven’t heard it, you’re probably better off. What I can’t believe is that it gets radio play.